Thursday, March 3, 2011

Super FUN!!!!

Woot Woot!! I am the Guest Star on Jungle Belles this week!! 
OK, I might be a bit more excited then you all are. lol


Your challenge this week is to use the song
"There is no place like home for the holidays" 
to inspire your card. 

As I was driving and thinking how much I miss my "home" in the desert of Nevada, this song kept playing in my head. Of course now that I am making Christmas cards all year the Christmas songs are always in my head!! lol 
Anywho, for me "home" will always be the desert with all it's beauty.
So of course I have a cactus on my card. *grin* 

 For my card I used this super cute digi that Trish from Simply Create drew. I just love those antlers!! I usually add snow around the base but couldn't get it to work out with this card, so just pretend there is snow!. Mind you I never had a "white Christmas" in all the 40 years I lived in Nevada!! lol
 
I have used SU! black card stock and paper from Basic Grey's jovial and wassail pads as these are "earthy" colors to me. I embossed the lighter panel with cuttlebugs leafy branch folder, added some seed beads in the corners of the larger panel and did some machine and hand stitching. 
I used SU! punches and a sticker from SRM Stickers for the sentiment and added glossy accents to his nose to make it pop, some $ store sheer ribbon and the card was complete.

So how does the song inspire you? 
I look forward to seeing your creations.

I started out with this sketch for the challenge on Basic Grey Challenges
*well you all know how I am about following sketches!* lol

A HUGE thank you to Stef and Lauren for having me as the 
Guest Star on Jingle Belles this week!!!!  

ETA:  I am linking this to Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge  as I always try to combine the two challenges. Had to make this card before knowing what her challenge was going to be and how happy I was today to see that she has "embossing" set for the challenge and I have a bit on my card :) 
 **Hazel, I hope this is OK with you  :)

18 comments:

Lisa - papergrace said...

I am totally, absolutely 10000000% in ♥love♥ with your card!! I, too, am a desert rat who hails from Henderson, Nevada!!! :) So your card makes me miss home soooo much. ;)

I love that your cactus has antlers! Totally adorable. Your patterned paper choices are beautiful as are your embellishments. Wonderful and beautifully designed card!! ♥

Audrey Frelx said...

I like different, and your cactus Christmas card is definitely that! Good job! Great imagination!

TesaB said...

Woot woot!!! They did an excellent choice picking you! :):):) What a totally GORGEOUS card!!! YAY!!!

Lisa said...

Wow, your card is amazing! You totally captured the essence of your "home for Christmas"! Those antlers are just too cool.

I have to say though I'm the exact opposite of you. We spent 3 yrs stationed in the CA Mojave Desert and it was the longest 3 yrs of my life, lol. I need cold,snow, clouds and lots of trees to be happy!

~amy~ said...

Woot Wootie Woot Woot Girl...you sneaky sneak....I LOVE your card and the challenge is soooo fun!!!! Can't WAIT to play!!!

sherryann (aka Sherry Eckblad) said...

Oh Rose your card is absolutely adorable and if a WHITE Christmas is what you seek I think I can hook you up.

Gloria Stengel said...

Hey! Congrats on the GDT spot! You rock! I love the cactus Christmas card. I keep telling dh that I'm going to do Santa on a surfboard one year! hee hee

♥♥♥Jan ♥♥♥ said...

You made me laugh out loud !! I love that feeling. Congrats on the GD spot, you did yourself proud on this one for sure !! Home at Christmas means fog, damp, rain, all the curtains closed, and the fireplace going - just like when I was a girl growing up in Vancouver BC. Oh, and the mountains right outside the window.

Hazel said...

How fab that you have embossing on that gorgeous card - well done for combining - way to go! Thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 10 - hope to see you again soon. x

suezie said...

Wow Rose - this is such a cool card - guess it doesn't always have to be snowflakes and jingle bells huh?

Elise said...

Goodness, GRACIOUS! This card is BEAUTIFUL! The desert does have kind of an acquired, but haunting beauty that is rather irreplaceable! I used to camp in Owens Valley and run round the 395 back in "the day" - it was a place of raw and unforgettable beauty! THIS card and your thoughts really made me smile! xoxoxo!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

It is just amazing for me to learn from hoping around that there are some crafters live close to where I am now. This is a cool scene you created, I am new to Nevada and I am loving the desert!

Jeanne said...

Oh this is so awesome!! TFS!

Paige said...

Your card is so fun and creative! Love the cactus!

Deb Hickman said...

Congrats on the GD spot, what a great challenge you thought of.
Love your fun Christmas card.xxx

Lisa said...

Congrats on a great prompt and what an original card! I love it

Rosemary said...

This was a wonderful challenge idea, they all are fun but this one really has led to some deep and personal thoughts (in a good way) about Christmas and I have enjoyed learning about all the others participating here with the Jingle Belles. Your card just makes me smile - the cactus, antlers are perfect. I have to admit that I have never experienced a desert Christmas but you make it look quite wonderful!

Scrapaddict said...

Sorry I missed you GDT spot, but congrats anyway. Love your card.